You might have noticed there are several things in your house that you don’t use very often. While you can get rid of a few things, there are others that cannot be thrown away. You might not use them in months, but that doesn’t mean that you have to let them go. To solve this problem, many companies provide storage facilities.
If you are moving to a new place that doesn’t have enough space, you might need one storage unit. Such a unit will help you to keep things safely without causing any problem to keep your house clean and organised. Before the removalists in Melbourne start their job, you must separate those items that you want to keep in a storage unit.
The professionals will move the rest of your belongings to your house. But do you know how to choose a storage unit? Here are a few factors you must consider before selecting one for your things. But before that, let’s look at the benefits of having a storage unit.
Benefits of a Storage Facility
There are numerous advantages of having a self-storage unit. Some of them are as follows:
It Protects Your Items from Environmental Damage
When you have a self-storage unit, you can declutter your house and keep all the excess items in that unit. People keep numerous things in their backyard but it is always a risk because weather factors in Adelaide like rain and hot weather can damage your items. Keeping them in a storage unit keeps such belongings safe. Many removals companies in Melbourne offer storage facility to their clients.
You Get Enough Security
A storage unit provides enough security to your expensive belongings. For instance, you have moved a piano from your previous house to your new house, but it is taking a lot of space. In this situation, you can keep the expensive piano in a storage unit, until you move to another place with a bigger space or find someone who wants to purchase it from you. From CCTV to secure locks, storage units have different stages of protection, so you don’t need to worry.
It Keeps Your House More Organised
When you are moving to a new place, it is possible that the new house is not as big as your previous home. So, you will face the difficulty of keeping all the items at your place. To keep everything in an organised manner and make your house look clean, you can use a storage unit to keep things that you don’t use often. When you hire removalists in Melbourne, you can ask them if they offer any storage facilities.
1. Type and Size of the Storage Unit
You might find it difficult to estimate the right amount of space you will need to store your items appropriately. Choosing a too-small unit won’t allow you to keep all your belongings while selecting a very large unit will be a waste of money. To avoid such a problem, make a complete list of all the things that you possess and wish to store. Then contact a storage company and discuss with them the size of the storage unit which will be appropriate for you. Their experienced professionals will guide you.
It is also essential to consider the type of unit you need. If you have heirlooms or vintage furniture, you should go for a climate-controlled storage unit. Based on type and size, companies offer different types of units. Some of them are:
• Climate and non-climate controlled units
• Different sizes of a unit (Tiny to Massive)
• Indoor and outdoor storage units
• Ground level, drive-up storage
• Covered, uncovered car storage
2. Location of the Storage
The location is also a crucial factor that you must consider while choosing a storage facility. This is because the location of the storage unit directly impacts the cost of the service. Any storage area that is situated very close to your city will cost you more than a storage that is located in an isolated area. So, you need to choose the storage wisely.
If you are keeping such items in the unit that you will require once or twice every week, it is a good idea to select a storage location that is near to your place. However, if you need your items once in three to four months, opt for a cheaper facility, even if it is a couple of hours drive from your place.
3. What Facilities You Are Getting
When you are choosing a storage unit for your belongings, you should also consider what facilities you will get. There should be some gap at the top of the walls or a proper ventilation system. Otherwise, your unit can face the problem of mildew. While doing the research, make sure that:
• The condition of a storage unit is good as it indicates that the company is professional, and they take care of their property. At the time of hiring removalists in Melbourne, ask the company if they also have provided storage facility.
• The property is clean, and there are no dirty and cluttered areas. This is important because too much clutter can increase the risk of fire.
• The area has enough parking space with direct access to your storage unit. This makes things easy for you.
• The storage unit has adequate lighting so that you can quickly load and unload your belongings during the day as well as night.
• The staff is friendly and helpful. Also, they should be knowledgeable about the service they are providing.
4. Security of the Storage Unit
You should never choose a storage company that cannot provide enough security for your belongings. Providing space is not enough! Your storage company must offer the following security and safety features.
• CCTV and alarm: The storage you are choosing must have a modern camera surveillance system as well as the alarm system. It should cover the entire storage area to protect the belongings.
• Fire safety: The last thing you want is your items getting damaged in a fire accident. To avoid this, the storage must be equipped with fire alarms as well as a sprinkler system. This will protect your belongings from fire damage.
• Password Protected Access: Reputed companies use password-protected access to make sure that only their clients and employees get entry in the storage area.
5. The Cost Factor
The cost can be a decisive factor when choosing a storage solution. There are a few things you must consider, which will directly affect the cost. Talk to a couple of storage companies and get quotes first. Then analyse which company is providing the best price for the facilities you will get. Also, know if they have any minimum cost or any additional charges that you should know. If you want the removalists in Melbourne to move your house easily and safely to the storage unit, discuss the extra charges in advance.
Choosing the right storage facility is not as difficult as you may think. All you need to do is focus on a few basic things that will protect your belongings and serve the purpose. The factors mentioned here are essential, and thus, you should always keep them in mind while selecting storage for your items.
GET YOUR FREE QUOTE