Going to live in a new home is fun and exhilarating, but before you can experience these feelings, you have to complete various stressful and demanding activities for moving out of your current home. Broadly, these activities include reducing your moving load by decluttering, packing, and transporting your belongings.
You can take the assistance of professional removalists in Melbourne to have peace of mind and get your property contents packed and moved securely. Alternately, you can move yourself, which is a viable option when you have to move a short distance. Here is your complete guide with excellent DIY moving tips to help you manage the moving process smoothly and without hassle.
Explore Your Options
When planning a DIY move, you have several options to choose from and gt through the process as per requirement. These include the following options.
• Renting a moving truck: Commonly, people moving on their own prefer to hire a moving truck for transporting their belongings. You can rent a vehicle from trusted removalists in Melbourne if you are 18 years or above with a driver’s licence.
• Get a portable storage container: For transporting limited items or managing a small move, many people today choose to get a portable moving and storage service. The container is delivered at your doorsteps which you can load at your own pace. Once it is loaded, the company then delivers it to your new home, where you can unload it.
• Using a relative’s/friend’s pick-up truck: Another option you can explore is using a relative’s or friend’s pick-up truck for a few days, but only when you have no bulky household items to move.
• Manage your move partially: Declutter your belongings yourself but hire professional removalists in Melbourne to load, transport, and unload them, weighty items like furniture, electronics, appliances etc. While DIY moving, you can take the assistance of professionals for specific tasks to lower your moving cost.
Rent the Right Moving Truck
Professional removalists in Melbourne know what size of moving truck to use for transporting various property contents through experience, but non-specialists don’t. Therefore, you can get confused during selection. To help you, listed below are some recommended truck sizes for moving belongings as per rooms in a unit or house.
• One-room unit – 10 -16 ft.
• Two-room unit – 12-22 ft.
• Three-room house – 16-22 ft.
• Five-room house – 22-26 ft.
Choose the Right Boxes
Manage the transportation of property contents without losing or damaging them by getting the right boxes. It can be difficult because a plethora of packing box options are available for household items. The boxes can be square and rectangle, and for people planning a DIY move, it is best to obtain standard moving boxes mentioned as follows to avoid confusion or annoyance.
• Small boxes should be about 457mm x 330mm x 330mm. These are ideal for heavy items such as books, ceramics, etc.
• Medium boxes should be approximately 457mm x 457mm x 499mm. These boxes can securely store the majority of your property contents. Hence, it would help if you got medium boxes in bulk.
• Large boxes should not be over 445mm x 445mm x 744mm. Get a few of these for packing pillows, blankets, cushions, and other big items.
For special packing requirements, consider getting one or two wardrobe boxes, flat boxes, rigid boxes and more.
Create a Moving Checklist
Creating a moving checklist is essential to streamline your tasks and get them done within a stipulated time, whether you have hired professional removalists in Melbourne or plan to move yourself. The list should include all the tasks you need to complete according to urgency and importance, such as changing your address, decluttering, packing, discontinuing utilities, paying bills etc.
Begin Decluttering and Packing Early
These are among the most time-consuming tasks, which is why you should start them as early as possible. Declutter to reduce your packing and moving load, especially if you have lived in a house/unit for over a year. Get rid of things you haven’t used for six months or don’t use at least once annually. The things in good condition can either be donated or resold via an offline/online garage sale.
Furthermore, things you want to discard should be disposed of responsibly, and don’t hesitate to contact your local waste recycling & management centre if you need assistance. After decluttering, pack your belongings, starting first with things you use occasionally or rarely. Make sure you pack everyday use items last to move out comfortably, plus load them last to unload and unpack first after arriving at the new home.
The Bottom Line
Moving to a new home is always challenging and stressful, but you can make the process comfortable and smooth by hiring professional removalists in Melbourne. Alternately, you can manage to relocate yourself by following the DIY moving tips mentioned above. Make sure you choose the option best for you economically and ergonomically.
GET YOUR FREE QUOTE