The Ultimate Office Moving Checklist And Timeline
Sep 02, 2022
People often decide to move to a new place to expand their business. However, office relocation is one of the biggest challenges that business owners can face.
From productivity loss and budget adjustments to coordination with clients and vendors, you have to tackle with various difficulties simultaneously. Lack of proper planning or execution can make the relocation process very confusing, which can turn the entire event into chaos.
So, you need to carry out the office relocation in a systematic manner. Business owners usually prefer to hire experienced removalists Melbourne to complete the task. The professionals take care of the packing, loading and transportation.
That saves your time and allows you to explore new business opportunities. Besides hiring the experts, there are many more things that you must include in your preparation and execute them at the right time.
Here is the ultimate office moving checklist and timeline to make the task easier.
6 Months before Office Moving
During this time, you need to focus on the research and planning part that will lay the foundation of the move.
- You must designate a moving team from the office who will take care of all the responsibility and stay in touch with you.
- Restore the space to its original condition. So remove the electrical installations, cables, fixtures, logos, signs and furniture.
- Office moving is costly, so you must prepare a budget. It will help you to keep track of all the expenses
- Office moving is a highly stressful event, so you must look for professional removalists Melbourne, Victoria.
- You should inform your employees about the move, so they get enough time to prepare for it.
- Ask the dedicated team to prepare an inventory list. It will keep track of all items and let you pack and unpack things systematically.
4 Months before Office Moving
When you are only a month away from the moving day, communicate with people inside and outside the office. It will make the preparation easier for you.
- It is the right time to fix a moving date and make plans accordingly.
- You should also announce the date to employees, so they can make their plans.
- Provide the notice period to your landlord and also inform your clients and vendors.
- Book the service of certified Melbourne removalists. Delaying the booking can cause the problem of their unavailability.
- Get rid of the belongings that are of no use. It could be your old files, documents, machines, chairs, tables, phones, computers, etc. It is a great way to reduce the load and cost of moving.
2 Months before Office Moving
During this phase, you need to focus on your new place, so you experience a smooth transaction.
- It is the appropriate time to design a floor plan for your new office.
- You should forward a request to disconnect old services and set up them at your new place
- Start packing your belongings. You should begin with the least essential items.
- You also need to update your address on new business cards, envelopes, letterhead, etc.
1 Month before Office Moving
You need to ensure that you are on the right track and focus on things that business owners often overlook during the office move.
- You should place orders for the keys and access cards of the new office so you can provide them to the employees.
- Talk to your IT department and instruct them to take back up of your entire data.
- Contact the moving company and remind them about the date to avoid any last-minute confusion.
1 Week before Office Moving
When you are only a few days away, you must double-check everything is completed.
- Update your financial accounts, website of the company, subscriptions, social media accounts, and business listings with the new address.
- Ask all the employees should be finishing up clearing their desks and cubicles of office supplies and personal belongings. It is one of the best ways to make a move faster for the hired professionals.
- Instruct your IT team to start disconnecting and your entire tech. It is complicated and something that you can outsource to the removalists. They will pack up monitors, laptops, phones, cameras and other IT equipment.
1 Day before Office Moving
It is time to wrap up your moving preparation and make sure everything hot executed as per the plan.
- It is time to wrap up everything. So, complete your packing and then put a label on the boxes.
- Also, collect all the access cards and keys from your employees as you might have to return them to the building owner.
On Moving Day
It is the most important and hectic day of the entire relocation. So, you must do the right things to keep things in control.
- Even if you have a dedicated team for it, you should be in your office to meet the removalists. Make sure they have the right address with them.
- You should do a final walk-through of your entire office and all the room to avoid any unpleasant surprises after leaving the place.
The Bottom Line
Moving office is highly stressful and overwhelming for most business owners. However, you can make it a little easier by following the checklist and timeline mentioned above.
The professionals play a vital role in office relocation, so do not forget to hire them. Before you finalise a professional removals company in Melbourne, compare different quotes as it is an excellent way to save money. You will experience a smooth office move.